Your phone lights up and you have a text from your best friend…
Your jaw drops. What do you do?! Read our tips below!
- Listen FIRST. You may want to jump to conclusions, give advice or suggest how she should proceed. That can be beneficial later but hear her out first.
- Help her talk to the important people. Offer to sit with her while she tells her parents, the baby’s father, or other family members. It can be helpful to know she already has someone on her side when she shares the news.
- Learn about the pregnancy centers in your area. You can even go to her appointment with her! Find the pregnancy centers near you at OptionLine.org
- Don’t shame her. She may already feel guilty, embarrassed, or ashamed. She doesn’t need those same emotions coming from her best friend. Be her safe person. Look for solutions, not problems.
- Don’t pressure her. You may know what you would do in her situation, but that doesn’t mean that’s what is best for her. Make sure she knows that you are standing by her as she navigates her decisions.
- Don’t ghost her. Regardless of her relationship with the baby’s father, she is probably feeling alone right now. The last thing she needs is to lose her best friend
Have more questions? Reach out to us. We’d love to chat with you!